Saturday, May 2, 2015

Relaxation in the Midst of Distraction

Everyone looks forward to the end of yoga class. It is that time when you can rest your body, quiet your mind, and relax. Ideally, the room is silent, or perhaps there is soothing music playing or quiet sounds of nature in the background...birds, rain, the ocean, or a babbling brook. The reality is that this does not always happen. We don't always get our ideal, and so we have to learn how to relax in the midst of the chaos. 

As a yoga teacher, I have experienced guiding relaxation through the sound of what can only be described as a fleet of leaf blowers, through the thin walls of an adjoining business where someone was sharing the events of her life that sounded like an episode of Judge Judy, and while teaching an outdoor yoga class even experienced someone cursing at us and calling us crass names during relaxation. None of these are ideal scenarios for relaxation, and I have sometimes found myself getting frustrated that our time was being disrupted. However, it occurred to me that even in the midst of the chaos, those disruptions could not take away the positivity of the yoga practice that we were enjoying. The only way that positive energy can be disrupted is if I allow it to penetrate the space in my mind that has been filled with love and light during my yoga practice. 

What I have found myself doing now rather than getting frustrated whenever I am distracted or disrupted by my surroundings is this....Rather than allow that negativity into my circle of light, I send light and love out of my circle and into that place of distraction. I may bring more focus to my breath, and use it as a meditation and silent mantra of love and peace. 
I inhale peace. 
I exhale love.

So I encourage you the next time you find yourself in one of those situations of disruption when you are trying to meditate or when you are in the relaxation part of your yoga class, find your own mantra of healing and love, and in so doing you may find that you can have your peace and share it too. 

Be happy, healthy, and at peace.
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment